I have been an employee and an employer. As an employee in an insurance agency, I had to look professional. As an employer, I had to look like a
leader. Nothing in my life had prepared me for either role.
I grew up in poverty, abuse, and even spent a time homeless. My clothes came from thrift stores and whatever we could find and use at the county
dump. Now I live in a home overlooking the ocean among millionaire and billionaire entrepreneurs and professional athletes. Along the way I’ve
earned success, and I enjoy helping others earn theirs.
My upcoming program, called Your Real Success,will share what I learned along the path from foster care to millionaire. The following are some
basics to help you create the life you want to live.
So, what do YOU need to do to launch your successful life? Here are the first 5 steps:
1. Decide who you want to be, and intentionally adopt the body language, posture, and expressions that best portray the person you want to
be. If you’re not sure about those things, find a television personality who comes close and watch the way he or she carries him- or herself.
Confidence comes from within. Lack of it is obvious to all.
2. Know and clearly articulate who you are and what you want to accomplish. Communicating who you are and what you want to do will
open doors to the path that will get you where you want to go. Being confident of who you are and what you stand for will be attractive to
others who may be in a position to help you or to those who will cheer you on in achieving your goals.
3. Create your signature look. Find a hairstyle (and for women, makeup) that looks good on you and that matches who you want to be, and
stick with it. Learn the colors that look best on you, and invest in clothes that are in this range of colors. Stick with a style that is
appropriate for the industry in which you hope to become successful. If you want to thrive in corporate America, go with suits. Dress like
management. If you’re going into theater or music, for example, your look will be entirely different. Wherever you go, look and carry yourself
like an industry leader, and eventually you will be.
4. Be prepared for opportunity. Never leave the house unprepared for the opportunity of your life because you never know when that
opportunity will present itself.
5. Adopt attitude, language, and behavior that matches who you want to be. There’s no point in dressing up and looking the part and then
ruining it with a bad attitude, foul mouth, or unethical behavior. Choose a positive attitude (sometimes you have to choose every ten
minutes), speak like the person you want to be, and live with the highest level of integrity as though your grandmother and her pastor were
watching…because with smart phones and social networking, they just might be.